PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VC10 quickie
Thread: VC10 quickie
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2020, 08:52
MrBernoulli

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by frieghtdog2000
The Standards had reversers on the outboards only - Supers on all four but the the inboards were idled by 100 kts to prevent ingestion to the outboards.
Are you sure about that? I thought it was only the prototype, and maybe a couple of the very early production airframes, that had reversers on all four. Haven't got my various books to hand, but I think I am correct.

In any event, I flew all the VC10 variants in RAF service, and all of them were outboard engine reversers only - the K2 (originally BOAC/Gulf Air standard VC10s); K3 (originally East African Airways super VC10s); K4 (originally BOAC/BA super VC10s); and the C1/C1K (directly acquired by RAF from Vickers, a sort of 'hybrid' with standard fuselage, super wing, and some other super mods).

Originally Posted by RetiredBA/BY
Initially BOAC VC 10s had four reversers., the inboards were later removed, something to do with tailplane oscillation, IIRC.
Effect on landing distance was negligible..
Maybe because the effect of any of the VC10 reversers was negligible? 😂 I have a recollection it was fin vibration, so similar.