PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 21:17
finestkind

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Mega, lots of good advice but “everyone pay’s the piper”. No job is perfect. There are drawbacks everywhere. Aviation desire is like those rose tinted glasses. From that perfect place you holidayed and decided to move there only to find it was no longer perfect as work interfered with what was the holiday. Had a applicant many years ago who after a few flights chucked it in stating “I fly for fun not work” (and no, not a floater a very much focused individual given his history).

Also very much I guess (as with all of us) at your age you cannot wait to have a job, do what you want, only to realise when you get there, taxes, rent utilities, groceries, rego, fuel, clothes etc takes away the fun of a pay cheque with which you where going to have a huge time. The point? When you become that Captain on “biggus dickus” airlines you may realise that the purity of flying that bug smasher which requires hands on all the time is real flying. The military is great as you get trained to a high standard quickly, fly some awesome kit, and in general are surrounded by likeminded people (yes likeminded people in the commercial sector but how often do you work with the same people etc). But there is also a lot of guff you have to put up with (like any job) and although you have input in your career path you don’t make the decisions. I see you are In Melbourne. Suggest you check out East Sale, even apply as it cost nothing to put your toe in the waters and you are under no obligations.

Although the story of from C152 to the Space shuttle is very true it is also what life is about for those ambitious people. The next step on the ladder. But with each step comes a higher altitude which also brings more responsibilities and demands which in turn detracts from the purity of the initial desire.

Enough waxing and waning philosophically. Best advice I can give is if you want to do something do it, BUT have a realistic view of what it entails. Don’t just talk to one person, talk to as many as you can.

Best of luck.