PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Government Loan to Virgin Australia
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 10:13
Dragun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fatguyinalittlecoat
Totally agree that VA have been thrown into this COVID crisis through no fault of their own. It's not their fault. But so have every other business in Australia. And i think that's the point the Government is making. They can't bail out VA without bailing out every other business that has been neutered by this. They can only supply assistance to an industry. VA are stuck. They have to make it work with what they have.
Yes it's a reasonable point that has been around the media with the unfortunate difference in this case that Virgin forms part of critical infrastructure whether the government and public like it or not. In addition it contributes around $11 billion p.a. directly to the Australian economy and much more indirectly. I'm not saying other big business won't come to this either, but this is the first and it's a much bigger enterprise to let go than a collection of smaller and generic SMEs. I know that sounds harsh, and it's not meant to, but just highlighting the reality of the current predicament for government.