PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 03:52
KRviator

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
I have one word as someone who has "Been there, done that..." - Don't!

By that I mean, unless you want to make a career out of GA, and there are those that do, flying Ruffdus, or PolAir etc, airline flying is typically not "fun" flying. As a FIFO worker, I've talked to the tech crew several times over the last decade or so going back and forth and almost without exception, when I've put the question to them "would you do it again?" they've said "No", for a variety of reasons. Most of the crew I've spoken to do still enjoy the job, but they almost universally agree it isn't worth the sacrifice, the time away from home, the constant sim checks or risk of losing the medical, or the dealing with the muppets at Security just to get to work.

I gave away flying for a career about 15 years ago now, and pursued another fascination for me, the railways, and have been driving trains ever since. The roster can be crappy, but you are home in your own bed after almost every shift, but the pay is good from day 1 as a trainee, and depending who you work for, you can get an absolutely amazing roster. I know blokes working for some of the Pilbara operators that do 2 weeks on, 4 weeks off, and earn well over $110K a year, another good mate is on nearly double that doing 2/2 as a casual driver with one of the Port-Hedland operators...When you are earning more than the blokes flying you to work, and only working half the year, looking back I can comfortably say I've made the right choice.

Now I have an RV-9 that I fly for fun, when I want, where I want. IF that's 500' down Victor 1 or cruising above a thin later of stratus in the early morning, I can.

As Junior said above, forget flying for now, and focus on your studies. Doing well through year 12 gives you the opportunity to do whatever you want, and if that's flying, great, if not, you have given yourself other, maybe better, options.