PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KLM final flight B747
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 11:16
gsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KLM B74 Upper deck

Originally Posted by Theheron
I was fortunate enough to fly business class on the upper deck to Mexico City on the 10th March in PH-BFW and return by PH-BFL on 25th March.
This was the first time that I had flown on the upper deck of this classic aircraft and it gave a feeling that you were travelling on aircraft that was a lot smaller. If you were able to fly on this aircraft shortly after production started it must have given you a wow factor.
Unfortunately this COVID 19 virus has taken its toll and I don’t think KLM will be one only airline retiring big jets early. Indeed many airlines may completely disappear.
Although the outbound leg was operated as normal, the return leg was completely different. We were informed a few days before returning that KLM we’re making changes to the onboard catering service in response to the COVID 19 virus to reduce contact between cabin crew and the passengers. Therefore business class and economy passengers would be given the same simplified catering of one hot meal and one snack, and advised to bring your own snacks onboard. Water and soft drinks only would be available. The cabin crew wore face masks throughout the flight and were very apologetic with regards to the catering service but were still doing their utmost to give the best service possible. This was unfortunate but understandable and we were just grateful to be getting home. At least we could still get a reasonable sleep on the lie-flat seat.
On landing we were advised on the PA system by a member of the cabin crew in a slightly emotional voice that it was her last flight on the classic 747 before the aircraft type retired. In fact PH-BFL had only 3 more return journeys after this flight.
KLM terminated flights to Mexico City after the last flight on 28th March.
We also travelled on the last KLM service on 27th March from Amsterdam to Cardiff with 7 passengers on board.
So whichever aircraft replaces the 747 I don’t think it will ever surpass the experience of this iconic jet.

Great(sad) end to the B747. Reminds me of my one and only KL B747 flight (some 25 years ago) .I worked for a KLM cargo subsidiary and was on a trip to Fla out on a BA stand by ticket. Could not get back home from MCO.
Appealed to KL for a staff ticket and they obliged. (they actually did that a couple of times..Great ground crew) Long story but to make short. flight came in from Mexico city ( I think) delayed very late and I think we departed around 0400. I had been given a business Upper Deck ticket.
On board, shown to my seat. usual routine , took off and then realised I was the only person on the upper deck (apart from crew) . After take off , getting on for 0500 local, crew came and asked "do you want to drink, eat sleep".Sleep was all I needed. This was days of reclining not fully flat seat. Stewardess said ok. and somehow converted the seat to flat but no footrest , so a food container with a cushion was provided. Blanket over me . Next question . "Do you want all the lights out"? Of course . "Breakfast" Yes pls. My own private jet, with private crew, slept for 6-7 hours, breakfast served over the English coastline . Best flight I ever had. Best crew and at that time one of the best airlines. Never to be repeated . sadly!!