PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - seniority lists discussion..... Again!
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2020, 10:14
bex88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cut to the chase......seniority. Everyone is talking about redundancy and who should take the hit.

Firstly there needs to be a legal matrix. It can be weighted towards seniority but not exclusively. Geographic cannot be challenged and it is the role that is redundant, not the person. Legally you can’t make a pilot redundant and then transfer another pilot into their role. Well certainly not without a challenge.

What can we do? Argue, point fingers, throw our colleagues under the bus? Maybe it would be better to try and protect everyone career. That is not the same as their income or job. Exhaust all part time working, unpaid leave, job sharing, voluntary redundancies or early retirements (with a incentive package, not just booting people out with < 5 years to go) If that is not enough then it’s on to redundancies. Redundancies come with a financial package. That is all well and good but what I would want to see is protection of these pilots careers. Measures should be built in that these pilots can return to their company on their original seniority and position as and when conditions allow.

I am concerned for my job but I am more concerned for my career. If ever we need to stick together it is now.

Seniority sucks, but I cannot think of a better system for fleets moves, promotion etc. You earn your chance for those, you then have to demonstrate you are capable.