PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VC10 quickie
Thread: VC10 quickie
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2020, 22:22
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
West Coast, we often practised 2-eng failures in the simulator - the first at V1 and the second (on the same side) a little later. This was at MOTW and provided that the double engine failure drill and subsequent clean up were carried out correctly, a positive rate of climb could be achieved. Once at a safe speed, the loss of systems actions were briefed and the plan for return was made, with the co-pilot flying for much of the pattern using the serviceable autopilot, then the captain took over for the approach. The aircraft flew just fine and the exercise often included a 2-eng go-around. Before we had a decent simulator, the procedure was practised in the aircraft, but not at MTOW! At least we just retarded the throttles to idle, unlike BOAC whose instructors would close the HP cocks!

All student captains flew a 2-eng approach and go-around plus a 2-eng visual circuit and landing during conversion training, but only with an instructor and at relatively light weight. I don't recall any of my students having any problems - in fact the aircraft was much easier to fly on 2 engines than was the simulator.

I can only recall a couple of actual RAF 2-eng landings, one* of which was in the early days of the VC10K3. The nacelle stub wing drain holes on one side had been blocked and the stub wing had filled with water; in a descent from high level the engine control linkages on that side froze up. So the approach was flown with 2 engines stuck at idle, but the other 2 working OK, which meant no loss of systems.

The other was perhaps the XV109 incident in 1988, although I'm not sure whether they lost 2 engines. Despite the groundcrews' loudly voiced concerns, the crew elected to fly back to Brize with a damaged tyre. Which subsequently blew up, taking out an hydraulic system, as well as causing a 15000 lb fuel leak and other damage. The Captain and Air Eng were entirely at fault and later tried to claim that the tyre had been OK. Their pressonitis nearly lost the RAF a VC10. The BoI found that they'd bullied the GE and had then lied to try and cover their sorry arses.

*flown by the late 'Lord Percy' RIP.

Last edited by BEagle; 1st Apr 2020 at 06:00.