PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career advice for Pilots..
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2020, 12:10
NoelEvans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingStone
Cargo has been in decline for more than a decade. I doubt the current demand will last a long time.
Please justify your comment on the "decline for more than a decade"?

I know this report is about two years old now, but:

Air cargo has recovered and is on track to grow 4.2% over the next 20 years

Air cargo traffic grew 10.1 percent in 2017, more than double the long-term average growth rate. In the next 20 years, air cargo traffic is expected to more than double and the world freighter fleet will grow by more than 75 percent.

E-commerce will continue to boost air cargo demand

Global retail e-commerce sales were $2.3 trillion in 2017, more than double the $1.1 trillion spent in 2012. With no signs of slowing down, the e-commerce market size is forecast to double again by 2021, reaching nearly $4.9 trillion.
I can't track them down right now but Flight International's report on cargo two years ago said that short-haul cargo in Europe was the fastest growing sector of the airline industry in the world at 11% growth. Their report a year ago stated that the USA/China trade scuffles had led to declines in cargo, mostly long-haul, but the growth in European short-haul cargo had reduced to 'only' 8%.

All the massive building work at both ends of East Midlands Airport over the past few years does not point to "decline".

Right now and for quite a bit into the future my "Career advice for Pilots.." would be Cargo.