PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAS Border Control
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2020, 02:03
desert goat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mach E Avelli
As a mainlander who emigrated to Tassie 7 years ago I can state unequivocally that I would take choice 2. above.
If that "dystopian" scenario unfolded, Tasmania could secede and create Utopia.
Benevolent Dictator at the top (me, of course). No CASA, own aircraft registry (for my BBJ) and local licencing system for our 20 pilots. A shipping flag of convenience for revenue. Tax shelter for money laundering (with 10% into my pocket of course).
And big hand outs in aid from Russia and China to buy votes in the U.N. against Australia.

Meantime, anyone who wants to test local authorities versus Commonwealth jurisdiction in an aircraft control issue, try flying here with no prior approval. Your aircraft would be padlocked to a small concrete block while you got led away to a larger one.
A call to your lawyer might get you an early release to a nearby quarantine centre, but it would not have your aircraft unchained. And the Feds would do SFA about it. There are examples of impounded aircraft around Australia for trivial matters such as airport fees in arrears. This would not be regarded as a trivial matter, so Sunny/Okihara don't try it on to prove a point of law!
Be sure to foster and promote the local opioid production industry while you're at it. Since you would no longer be subject to Oz export controls, you could sell the product far and wide and then use the proceeds to buy some high-end russian weaponry. That'll come in handy for keeping the mainlanders out, keeping the Taswegians in, and also to stop the Americans from trying to annexe the joint. Can't be too careful, they already tried it once