PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career advice for Pilots..
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2020, 11:57
Olympia463

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Career change

I can sympathise with the people on here. I was made redundant twice in my career. I am a professional mechanical engineer, trained by Rolls-Royce, with a First Class Honours degree. I changed jobs seven times in a 40 year career, mainly on promotion, and was twice head hunted. I never made money, like you chaps at the sharp end of an aeroplane, but I did, quite early on, save enough to keep a year's pay in a separate account. That turned out to be a good idea,

I wanted to be a pilot, but didn't get into the Glasgow UAS (my legs were too long for the Harvards they flew!) and the chit I was given on being turned down, which might have taken me to Cranwell on a three year commission in the RAF when called up for NS, was useless, as I became an aircraft engine designer at R-R (Conway and RB 211) and was thus permanently exempt. So I had to learn to fly at my own expense later when I could afford the time and money. I agree that training as a plumber or electrician, if you can manage it, would be a good line of business as some of my friends do that and they earn more than I ever did. I think the advice to have an alternate career before training as an airline pilot might be sound in these days. Do airlines not prefer trainees with degrees in science or engineering these days anyway? I ought to mention that my career spanned all the way from railway locomotives to laser guidance for bombs. If you choose mechanical engineering you do widen your prospects!

Last edited by Olympia463; 28th Mar 2020 at 12:10. Reason: typo