PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who will survive this and be here in 6 months ?
Old 28th Mar 2020, 04:18
ZFT
N4790P

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverCircle
It's actually "only" just a few hundred million years until the Sun will have changed enough to have massive impact on our planet, including all life forms (like us, in case we would still be here, which I doubt). The atmosphere will change significantly due to increasing radiation and luminosity of our star. The balance within the so-called habitable zone that allows carbon-based life forms to exist is surprisingly delicate and does not allow significant variation in most parameters.

In about 500-700 million years, C3 photosynthesis will likely stop to work, because there won't be enough CO2 in the atmosphere, despite all climate change and rising CO2 levels we currently have, CO2 will drop significantly with increasing solar radiation over the next few hundred million years until there is not enough left to keep photosynthesis running. At some point, most plant life will be dead, which will in turn lead to a massive change in available oxygen. And then it's probably game over for any higher life form.

Still plenty of time though for recovery from the human mishap and maybe even a new try to establish intelligent life through further evolution.
Damn. I've got less time than I thought. Better start running down the gin stocks