PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B17 crash at Bradley
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2020, 06:41
marchino61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gipsy Queen
I have flown as pax in many heritage aircraft and am sufficiently heritage myself to have piloted some of them commercially, years before they became "heritage"!
I have flown in the B17 Fuddy Duddy several times and I have to say that not once on any of these occasions, regardless of a/c type, did it ever occur to me to consider anything as banal as insurance.

I agree with ATCW; people who subscribe to these flights generally regard them as an adventure which, by definition, involves the excitement of something daring or potentially risky. If they wish to remain totally safe (and "totally" is relative!), they should stay in the car park and give up their seat to someone prepared to accept and enjoy these flights for what they are.

Of course, I'm not condoning improper maintenance or operational procedures, but those are different subjects.
You have to admit that things like having an incorrect spark plug gap and points gap in the magneto are very, very basic errors. This indicates a high degree of carelessness by the maintenance crew.