PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK government says no industry-wide bailout for aviation
Old 26th Mar 2020, 06:37
beardy

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisVJ
In general terms I would agree with the rampant capitalists on here but on this occasion the crisis for airlines is because the government has shut down travel. (I am not commenting on why, only that they have.) I think, therefore, the government might have some responsibility to support them through the crisis, if only with repayable loans.

If the government wants the airlines to suspend already proposed dividends then maybe they should suspend the rules, simple.

I understand the airlines are not at the absolute top of the priority tree just at the moment but the employees and the public will surely punish the government if their jobs and their mobility are permanently destroyed
The government has affected the airline business, it has also affected many many other businesses. All of them are being supported by a range of measures. The airlines are asking for SPECIAL support, without having what makes their needs so different from any other industry.