PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted Airport History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2020, 08:18
Sotonsean

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Phileas Fogg
I think you'll find that the F27 AMS service was actually Air UK, sure enough on a codeshare with KLM but Air UK all the same.

During the min eighties summer seasons Dan-Air would base a jet in STN, maybe a 1-11 or 727, for bucket and spade work.
I'm obviously aware of the Air UK flight from London Stansted Airport to Amsterdam along with the code share with KLM but I could swear that I saw a separate KLM flight listed from London Stansted Airport to Amsterdam with a F27 at the same time as the Air UK flight.

(BAA) British Airports Authority used to have a newsletter which I used to collect and I thought that I could vividly remember an announcement by KLM but I've obviously got that mixed up with the code share with Air UK. (One mistake isn't bad considering)

I had completely overlooked the fact that Dan Air operated from London Stansted Airport during the 1980's.

In early 1986 Gatwick Handling Limited set up a London Stansted operation called Stansted Handling Limited to handle the Dan Air charters during 1986 with a based BAC-1-11.

After the completion of the Dan Air series of charter flights in 1986 Stansted Handling Limited kept on a staff of 35 to handle ad-hoc charters including the occasional Evergreen and Worldways Canada flights.

During the summer months of 1986.

​​Dan Air flew from London Stansted Airport to Faro, Ibiza, Malaga, Mahon, Palma.

Some additional charters for 1986 not already covered include the following,

Aviaco DC-9 to Palma Saturday afternoons
Aviogenex TU-134 to Split on Saturday evenings and B727 to Pula on Sunday evenings
Balkan Bulgarian TU-154 to Bourgas on Saturday evenings
British Air Ferries Viscount to Jersey on Sunday morning's
Hispania B737 to Palma and Tenerife on Tuesday's

Plus the Scandinavian charters

Braathens SAFE B737 to Gothenburg, Oslo (Gardermoen), Stockholm (Arlanda) on Sunday
Conair B720 to Copenhagen on Saturday evenings
Linjeflyg F28 to Norrkoping, Stockholm (Arlanda) on Sunday
Mearsk B737 to Malmö on Sunday evening's
Scanair A300 to Stockholm (Arlanda) on Sunday evening's
Sterling Airlines B727 to Stockholm (Stockholm) on Sunday evening's and Caravelle's to Copenhagen on Friday and Sunday morning's
Transwede Caravelle to Gothenburg on Sunday evening's

Also during 1986 the following scheduled flights

Air UK SD330/360, F27 to Amsterdam, Brussels, Edinburgh, Frankfurt, Guernsey, Paris
Jersey European Airways SD330 to Jersey on weekday morning's
Wardair B747 to Toronto on Saturday afternoon's (summer only)

Plus a short series of trans-Atlantic charter flights by the following

American Trans Air L1011 to Orlando (day's unknown)
Worldways Canada DC8 to Toronto (day's unknown)

Cargo flights by the following

Air Bridge Carriers Merchantman to Belfast on Saturday night's (newspaper flights)
FedEx DC10 to Memphis three day's a week (day's unknown)
Kondair Trislander/Cessna Titan to Amsterdam (newspaper flights)
Plus the Fordair flights to Cologne and Valencia by BAC-11 and Coventry and Liverpool by Gulfstream 1
Securicor/Skyguard Herald from Birmingham and on to Brussels on Tuesday to Friday evening's

This is JUST for the year 1986.

Anyone want to add the charters/scheduled flights for other year's feel free to do so.

Last edited by Sotonsean; 25th Mar 2020 at 11:39.