PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 22:09
stewyb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adfly
Whilst circumstances are rather different to any other year, I've put together a summary of what will hopefully be operating from SOU this summer once the world starts to return to normality (I am cautiously optimistic that the UK will be in a fairly reasonable place by this time, but lets be honest no-one truly knows...) Please keep any Coronavirus discussions/arguments/doom mongering relating to this for elsewhere, and as ever, let me know of any changes or corrections.

I've based this all on week commencing 13/07.

Aurigny

Alderney - 14 weekly D28
Guernsey - 14 weekly AT7

Blue Islands

Guernsey - 29 weekly AT7/AT4
Jersey - 23 weekly AT7

Eastern Airways (1x ATR72 and 1x E145 based)

Aberdeen - 4 weekly J41 (via MME)
Belfast City - 7 weekly AT7
Dublin - tbc
Leeds Bradford - 15 weekly J41
Manchester - 17 weekly AT7
Newcastle - 11 weekly ER4
Teesside - 10 weekly J41

Loganair (1x ATR72 overnights)

Aberdeen - 4 weekly ER3 (via NCL)
Edinburgh - 26 weekly AT7
Glasgow - 25 weekly AT7
Newcastle - 18 weekly ER3

TUI

Palma - 1 weekly 712 (Volotea)

Summary

210 weekly departures (~340 in S19)
30 daily departures (~49 in S19)

There were around 230 weekly Flybe departures in S19, not including the Blue Islands and Eastern franchises.

Overall I would say this is a solid start for the airport - considering the Dublin flights have not yet been confirmed, and the two other major international routes (Amsterdam and Paris) remain un-served for the time being, plus the general reduction in capacity on existing routes is probably no bad thing looking at where the economy is heading. Even the Newcastle route, despite having more flights has a little less capacity than Flybe provided (I think!), thanks to the smaller aircraft being used.
Thanks Adfly, comprehensive as ever. Looks ok when you consider the airport has had 95% of its route network taken away. The big question will be how long it’s takes to eventually get over current circumstances and we might be in to winter 20/21 before any form of recovery happens. The other issue is ticket sales for the new airlines now operating, will they be known to punters and are they going to be marketed widely, especially within the business community? Fair to say we will see further increase on Belfast and maybe Manchester at some stage, along with the yet to be announced Dublin schedule. The 2 other core routes are Paris and Amsterdam, of which combined contribute circa 300k to pax numbers annually although I cannot see these being reintroduced until the virus subsides, it will however be interesting to see who takes these on. French regionals are gone for the time being and med routes minimal apart from TUI Palma. Any further route reintroduction/growth will come about from the airports success of the runway planning app, of which I am quietly confident will get the go ahead from EBC. All in all I think the airport have done well in getting this far post BE and have been unfortunate with the immediate downturn caused by COVID 19!