PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hanging one side low
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2020, 15:00
HissingSyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDixson
Ah,”simple folk”. Hard to place Mr. Lappos in that group. Second in his class at Georgia Tech,but more to the point, over three decades or so at Sikorsky,I’ve been at any number of meetings with Nick and our resident PhD’s and in those discussions dear friends, Mr Lappos won/loss record remains unbeaten. His main problem was that he was often more than a tad ahead of everyone on the subject at hand,so there was some misunderstanding as a result. Count me in that crowd on occasion.
I am sitting here isolating myself, so I am up for the challenge, in a friendly way.

While I have been lurking here, I have read back over a number of threads to which NL has contributed and I have assured myself of his very high credentials. I, too, have been impressed by his lucid explanations and I understand how he came to earn guru status. But gurus can be mistaken. This is just plain wrong:

You are exactly right, the relationship [of the tail rotor] to the CG is what counts. Somehow, the idea that the height above or below the main rotor is important has been surfaced from time to time. It is not correct.