PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recreational pilots - why did you choose helicopter
Old 17th Mar 2020, 13:57
RMK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beyond being more fun to fly, helicopters as just far more useful and enjoyable for flying in the UK or Europe.

It went straight to RW 15 years ago as a PPL(H) and have no desire for a FW license. Maybe, if I lived in Southern Africa or the Canadian Northwest a bush plane would be really fun. However, living in London (like you) I must ask why would anyone want to fly fixed-wing in the UK – it honestly looks pretty grim. Fixed-wing pilots in the UK generally land at small underfunded aerodromes with scant facilities and poor food; if you want good food or an interesting location, you then take a taxi somewhere else. In a helicopter (in the UK and Europe) there are a plethora of places to land by helicopter – hotels/pubs/restaurants/etc. I have never once visited an aerodrome because I wished to visit that specific aerodrome; other than my home base, I only land at other aerodromes if I need fuel.

Additionally (regarding the US posters here), whereas the US has a fantastic fixed-wing private flying community, they barely have any private/recreational helicopter flying community in the US. Living in London, you can find 5-6 places (in under a 1hr drive) to fly/rent a helicopter privately, whereas in the US (though everyone will rent you plane) renting an R44 is always hard work to find one – the usual commercial/military guys have no clue (many don’t even realise a PPL can self-fly-hire a helicopter) as most have never flown a helicopter purely for recreation in the US.

Last edited by RMK; 17th Mar 2020 at 14:37.