PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recreational pilots - why did you choose helicopter
Old 15th Mar 2020, 21:56
meleagertoo

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Hilico
I had wanted to fly a helicopter since I was three, when someone gave me a yellow plastic S-51 - it wasn’t ‘what’s this thing?’, it was ‘ah, this is what I want’. There was no question of ever being able to afford it. Got my fixed-wing PPL at 19, realised I couldn’t fly to work or indeed anywhere else without a runway, and it soon lapsed.

in 2002, earning well as an IBM programmer, I managed to afford an hour a month even in addition to raising a young family, until halfway through that year when the customer decided they could manage without me. Progress was rapid (as I thought about heli flying all the time anyway) until the plug got pulled.

The very occasional adventure apart, I knew I would never get to do any flying and was quite contentedly resigned to it. Then in the space of a week, just before I was sixty, my wife died of the heart disease we never knew she had. Suddenly at age 60 I had three pensions coming in (while still doing a full-time job I thoroughly enjoy), life insurance money, and not much to spend it on (even once I’d seen the kids right).

I did not even have to think about it. The three-year old was going to get his wish, and in an R-44, too. Ever since then I have been shaking my head in disbelief that I get to do this.

We could blame whoever gave me that yellow plastic Dragonfly I suppose, but essentially I love flying and only rotary feels right. Anything else would be a mistake.
A lifetime love, and one that you managed to achieve despite all the usual and some rather less usual difficulties. I'm sure your late wife would be proud of the way you've managed this.

Great acheivement - well done! I'm impressed, very impressed and I'm she would be too.

Good flying!

Bravo Zulu.