PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The creation of Air UK. Why did it happen ?
Old 14th Mar 2020, 11:23
Sotonsean

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rog747

You are the expert when it comes to things like this and this site would be an absolute loss without you.

I knew there was another handling agent at LGW, I can remember the logo and the desks at LGW but for the life of me I could not remember the name of the company.

In actual fact I thought that Ogden Aviation Services were at LGW later than you have stated, I know that they didn't last at LGW for very long. When Ogden's first appeared at LGW I had never heard of them before and I can remember being rather surprised about that at the time.

In 1988 after the merger between BCAL and British Airways (although I always refer to it as more of a takeover than a merger, much to my sadness at the time) there was a lot of third party work for other ground handling agents such as Gatwick Handling Limited and Ogden Aviation Services after British Airways stopped handling them.

Servisair started at LGW after taking over Ogden Aviation Services or least taking over their handling. Ogden's presence at LGW was fairly short lived,.

Did Servisair buy Ogden's or did Ogden's just leave LGW and Servisair replace them?

​​​​​​Was Servisair at LGW replaced by Reed Aviation or did they operate at LGW at the same time?

After Dan Air's takeover by British Airways in 1992 Gatwick Handling Limited ownership was divided between Northwest and Delta. Gatwick Handling Limited merged with British Midland Handling Services, Midland Airport Services and Reed Aviation in 2000 to form Alliance UK (but I'm sure that you are totally aware of all that).

In what year did Swissport appear at LGW?

When Alliance UK was formed in 2000 there was themselves and I'm assuming Swissport as well as British Airways self handling making three handling agents at LGW at the time or was there a fourth?

Although we've slightly gone off thread from the topic of Air UK but it's an interesting story regarding the handling agents at LGW after the demise of BCAL in 1988 and the formation of Alliance UK from GHL in 2000 and the other companies concerned with that merger. Plus the inclusion of Ogden Aviation Services and Servisair.

ps I've yet to reply to your excellent post on the Stansted History and Nostalgia thread 😉
​​​​​​