PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VA pilots worried about employment 2021
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2020, 11:21
DanV2

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris2303
I can't see QF buying it, they've nothing to gain apart from a monopoly

Similarly NZ. They were not impressed with their previous association with VA and they were badly hurt in the AN debacle so there will be no way they will buy into an Australian domestic carrier.

DL?????
NZ had a huge role to play in the AN collapse, aside from Peter Abeles, Murdoch, Unions, etc.

NZ at the time had their "own version of Borghetti" in the form of (then Chairman) Selwyn Cushing, a bloke with so much ego he used his veto rights to block SQ from buying News Corp stake of AN, despite fully knowing that his company (NZ) did not have the balance sheet to fix a ailing AN. Cushing was just one of the blokes that put the final nail in AN's coffin, with Toomey as his "sidekick".

Also to add, "the so called Messiah SQ" isn't the 'messiah' that many like to think either, considering SQ also has a mediocre record at investments in Australia and overseas (The NZ/AN bankruptcy debacle, Virgin Atlantic losses, the failed Tiger Airways Australia attempt and now the overspending of CapEx at Virgin Australia with very minimal to no return).

DL may be an opportunity, but I can't see them investing in VA. If DL does though, I can see them reducing international to LAX and AKL only, with SkyTeam partners taking over the rest of what's left of VA's international network. The nickname "Delta Australia" does compliment their "Delta UK" (Virgin Atlantic) division though.