PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Introduction of Basic IR
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2020, 17:50
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Firstly, BEagle, thanks for all the hard work you continue to do on our behalf. AOPA membership is always going to be a small minority of UK pilots, so in effect we 'punch above our weight' when it comes to influence.

Now, my understanding is that we justified retention of the UK IMC rating as the IR(R) whilst awaiting for the BIR to appear, which would be its replacement. It seems actually that the BIR is going to be a very different animal, both in terms of privilege and attainment. Hopefully, this difference will enable us to retain the IMC rating in the UK. Personally, I've no desire to make use of Class A airspace and the combination of IMC in Class G/D and sensible approaches is all I need. We're a very small DTO but nontheless we currently have 4 pilots training for the IMC/IR(R). We've an ATO close by but I'm not sure if they have any instructors qualified to full IR. I've never held an IR so I'm never going to qualify to teach the BIR. Losing the ability to train our Club members to fly safely in IMC is a massive blow to flight safety, especially in hte rapidly-changing weather we experience in the South-West.

TOO