PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing, and FAA oversight
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2020, 00:23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MechEngr
It looks like BA installed a useful and fit-for-purpose, but not yet approved, Heads up guidance system that has since been approved for use in their aircraft. Cart before horse, apparently. I wonder what an investigation into the sales by Rockwell Collins of the devices might turn up. It's on BA to keep up with this, but certainly R-C would be cognizant of blow-back if a crash occurred due to some failure among nearly 800 installed not-yet-approved units.

The Rockwell Collins brochures make them seem like really nice additions, but I suppose the value is in what the pilot learns to do with them.
The 737NG had HGS (HUD) installed before 2015. The HGS/HUD was updated on later 737NG's to the best of my knowledge.
What the "pilot learns to do with them" (your quote) is taught in a separate simulator detail which includes a demonstration of a Cat 111 approach hand flown to minima.
The HGS/HUD displays a flare cue during the landing, amongst other details. The HUD also displays AOA, wind shear pitch commands, tail strike and a whole lot of other valuable features for the Captain only, as there is no HUD repeater on the FO's side.