PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 7th Mar 2020, 05:31
Cross Check

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old slang...

Originally Posted by PPSS
Hello Socks,

Thanks for the message mate. I understand the employee rights are different to those back home. I would imagine it to be pretty cut throat kinda atmosphere with no scope for mollycoddling and no gloves in the US.
However I do not understand what your "I am ok Jack" was in reference to? Also what do you mean by "if you carry on" I dont seem to understand what you are pointing at?
Jeez, I must be getting old if the "current generation" doesn't know Aussie slang from 2-3 decades ago that's been in use for oh probably the last 70 years at least. How the traditions die

In the interests of levity, to carry on (shortened from ...like a rice pudding... in my family) is basically causing a scene or making a big fuss about not much at all; analogous to making a mountain out of a molehill. The former probably aimed more at children. I'm OK... Jack... well Jack gets blamed for a whole lotta s##t (esp in the Military) so I won't go into it, but in this case it's pretty much Eff-you, go take care of yourself and I'll take care of myself, hence a description of attitude or character.

Around the 90's a lot of Aussie pilots went abroad to seek better fortunes, some were really nice people and others... not so great. Finding my way through the next 2 decades in Asia was occasionally awkward, locals don't forget the bad ones. It's better now, bad memories have faded, but Aussies are kinda newish to the US market in terms of aviation (the US being so "closed ranks" n'all) so it would be sad if a new generation of Aussie pilots go over Stateside with (I'm sorry to say "a millennial attitude") and basically "Go Jack" (yes that's accompanied with a 1 or 2 finger salute).

On 4 continents I've run into pilots who have bumped into Aussie pilots and it all pretty good I'm happy to say, but the most common criticism that comes across (whether over a few drinks or not) implies in some form or other why are Aussies piloting snobs (I'm politely paraphrasing). There are those who dogmatically think they can fly better than anyone else. Frankly everywhere has it's difficulties and each to their own how they deal with them, there isn't always only one solution. Keep the peace guys.

On with the thread...