PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2020, 10:15
racedo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup I go along with your consensus on travel. It will have a massive impact across many countrys including UK as airlines / airports will struggle. UK holidays will have a boon which will be sold as a Brexit benefit by BloJo.

Health triumphs economics as it should.

I figure the most robust airlines will face major problems, can't help to think that MOL isn't as worried as other CEOs. In his interview he just reiterated no we will not refund, its hard luck if you book a flight with us and don't travel for whatever reason, we have your money and that's that. It works for him. Tin hats wont protect as they used to, that attitude isn't going to work nowadays.
Thoughts go out to all at Flybe people, such a shame they caught in this mess.
I think passengers who booked and then decide not to travel will have a hard time getting money back. Unless there was specific outbreak where airlines banned from flying in then there is argueably no case.

UK Govt could demand it and introduce laws but this would open a can of worms so someone could drop out of anything whenever they wanted and get a full refund irrespective of the cost to a business. This only means business will charge higher prices to account for the "we want to change our mind at any time" brigade................. like the stag/hen do who book 30 seats for a weekend in Ibiza and decide last minute not to go ahead.

I know B&Bs in Ireland who now offer last minute cancellation, one I have used in Kerry says his rates are 35% more than 5 years ago, he has to make a living and people booking 5 B&Bs and then deciding night before which one to use, means his 100% potential occupancy could be 20% and little chance of new guests.