PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe-9
Thread: Flybe-9
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2020, 21:55
BA318

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by airsouthwest
Whilst I am shocked it happened so quickly, I'm not at all surprised to see Flybe has gone into administration. I worked & trained with them until 2018, so my thoughts go to everyone who has lost their job. It particularly upset me to see Katherine on the new's crying her eyes out not knowing what to do with her life anymore, I really hope she get's a new job soon and it really does bring a human aspect to this entire story.

As for the this whole debacle, I personally don't blame Connect Airways who by the sound of it went to extraordinary lengths to try and keep the airline going or the government even though they are an bunch of incompetent idiots, this is all down to the pure incompetence of Christine Oumiers Wider and her team, who overspent all the reserves Saad Hammad put back, and then sold off the remaining aircraft, buildings etc that Flybe had to raise a bit of cash, once that happened the clock really was ticking for Flybe, it's been extremely hard to see them over the last few months limping on like a wounded animal until today. So many people are going to be affected by Flybe, and I don't think this is the end of it, prepare to hear Exeter, Southampton, Newquay etc all struggling to survive over the next few months, although I think Exeter will survive I cannot see Southampton or Newquay being around in 5 years time. Certainly some interesting and very upsetting times ahead.

As for the aircraft, I can see the Ejet's being bought and heading off to America or Canada. Some of the Q400s will probably go to Africa but I can see some of the oldest ones being sent for scrap, as they have been heavily used by Flybe over the last 13 years.
Indeed. Christine must go down as one of the worst airline CEOs of recent times. Cityjet never made a profit under her, VLM (which had predominantly had good results) was bought and then wiped out and then Flybe was mismanaged with this as the end result.