PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2020, 12:57
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Why indeed

Originally Posted by Arclite01
Pobjoy

What I am getting at is why would MoD (UK Plc) give away 62 airframes that have a considerable second hand value to a niche charity very few people have heard of and agree to part fund the refurbish of said airframes and also to allow the charity to semi-refurbish the others to a 'standard' and then pocket the cash to 'expand the organisation' ?

Even as they are the Vigilants have to be worth at least £10K (so 62 x £10K = £620K) scrap value each and as an 'airworthy' aircraft £40K each (62 x £40K = £2.5M) and as a refurbed Grob 109 'Advantage' (62 x £140K = £8.6M) - OK take out the refurbish costs but to the man in the street that is still big ££

The questions for me is/are 'Why' ?
  • Why did ACO not do this for their own people ? (small cost - big return)
  • Why has this all been done on the QT and not out in the Open ?
  • Why is the Govt backing this niche charity in this way ? Who are their powerful friends who have covered this up/'arranged' the transfer ?
I don't see fleets of refurbished Vigilants flying hordes of disadvantage or disabled kids any time soon. But I do see a lot of people on a nice gravy train going to the seaside on the taxpayers ££ and the much reduced capability of the ACO Gliding organisation.

Followed by a statement in a couple of years to say that sadly the project proved 'non-viable' for a variety of reasons.

Where are they going to store 62 Vigilant airframes ? - that's a huge footprint. I hope it's not going to be FOC on Government property (where they are now) surely............ - could always park them alongside the Shackletons at Paphos I suppose

Arc
Spot on with the 'overview' of the situation as it appears that the biggest scandal that started it all has finished with another 'situation' that does not stand scrutiny.
I use the word 'situation' with care as the alternative word also starts with a S but finishes with an l. I did say all along that the 'Carpet' would have many bumps in it after the sweeping !!!
PM on its way. Pobjoy. I suspect the Vigs will be allowed to stay at Ris until required by 'whoever' for attention.