PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the hiring boom over?
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2020, 06:10
Daddy Fantastic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G SXTY
At a Pprune wannabe seminar many years ago, an airline DFO gave a presentation about the job market for low-hours pilots.

He started by drawing a graph of pilots jobs over time, and noted the way the job market tends to build steadily for several years, before an ‘event’ precipitates a cliff-edge collapse. His observation was that the market tends to follow a (roughly) 10 year cycle, with the bottom falling out in 1990 (1st Gulf War), 2001 (9/11 terrorist attacks) and 2008 (the financial crash).

It’s now 2020 . . .

I would give some thought to that, particularly if I was considering starting an integrated course.
Well the European market has been rubbish for about 12 years now anyway since about 2008 so Its not like the US market which is booming and could go completely bust. The last few years in Europe have been okay but nothing spectacular when compared to the rest of the world, especially North America and Asia. I have been flying in the US and Europe and European aviation can only be described as depressing when comparing the 2 markets

The COV-19 virus certainly has not helped things but unless we have another 2008 GFC where the markets were decimated I dont think it will get too bad here. It may slow down but in 2009/10/11/12/13 it came to a grinding halt.

If you really want to be a pilot then it could be a good time in Europe because it is a bit slow and if the glory days of 2003-2007/8 ever return it will only be in a few years from now.