PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident Near Mangalore Airport - Possibly 2 Aircraft down
Old 4th Mar 2020, 02:11
LeanOfPeak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to learn

As a PPL (IR training), I find myself thinking hard about how to learn from this horrible event even before a report is completed. (ADSB-in for OzRunways has just been ordered - it can’t hurt)

I’m not going to touch the hornet’s nest of airspace comments (I am likely the *least* experienced here).

The comment above about the departing aircraft staying on the ground got me thinking though. Without suggesting any of this is what happened in this case, I imagined myself taxying, hearing the inbound call and deciding to take off but level out below the cloud base until the incoming aircraft was visual. That would have seemed reasonable to me.
I similarly imagine myself inbound and hearing the intention of the traffic to remain VMC as comforting as I continue my descent in cloud.

I think I need to rethink how I’d approach these hypothetical situations and will discuss this with my instructor next time I have a lesson.
What separation would the good folks here use in that situation? Vertical seems problematic - even 1,000ft below cloud may not give enough time to see the descending aircraft (who would be unlikely to see me). Lateral separation is better but harder to mentally visualize, describe accurately and agree on the radio confidently. Staying on the ground whenever someone is inbound IMC may cause long delays if busy but a safe option.

Thoughts? (or personal attacks if you must - I can take it)