PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 09:28
PP0595

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jos G
Hey guys I had a question,

I wear Ortho K (Google of needed) contact lenses which I just wear at night and it corrects my vision back to 20/20. I only got these recently and am yet to make the DFR aware of these. My Optometrist says that its my choice if I want to tell them, but I don't want it to impact my chances.

Anyone in a similar situation or a suggestion?
‘Integrity’ is one of our values and what you will find is that people stay true to that. If as part of your medical they ask for information referencing your eye sight or any enhancements, I wouldn’t be hiding anything. Not to say you need to run down to DFR at first light and let them know, but be smart and be fair. This is what you should and would expect in the aircrew environment.

Realistically, and maybe a hard truth to encounter - but if it is something that the AVMO consider to be a concern, fair chance it’s for good reason. Limitations that aren’t a factor are taken on board and managed appropriately, but if it is a limiting factor then it may ruin your chances - though it’s better than not having your mates back when you least expect it during operations.