PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Repatriation Charge Following Diversion
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2020, 12:47
T_1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repatriation Charge Following Diversion

Hello all,

I had to divert to an alternative airfield recently due to the weather becoming IMC around the home airfield, I was PIC (No IR rating) and was flying with a friend who is a current ATPL who agreed that the diversion was the right and safest decision to make and an instrument approach was not available for him. The diversion airfield were very accommodating and did not charge for landing or parking. After arriving back at the club (Member for over 7 years and done all my training with) via road, the owner told me they would collect the aircraft the next day, so I paid for the flying hours I did on the aircraft that day.

Since then, I have received a large bill for ‘repatriation costs’ occurred in collecting the aircraft. This charge was not discussed with me at the time, and since the airfield is only around 15min flying time from home base amounted to significantly more than the cost of standard aircraft hire and landing had I collected it myself.

Just wanted to ask if this seems to be standard practice, given that it could place pressure on the members to opt to fly in unsafe conditions due to the financial burden of incurring a substantial cost for aircraft repatriation. I understand that there was a cost involved with returning the aircraft but feel it is a bit unjust not to consult me before passing this on and part of the business risk of renting aircraft is that this occasionally will happen. Has anyone got any thoughts on this or have experience of this?

As an aside, another club aircraft also diverted at the same time with a club instructor onboard.