PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kenley gliding site.
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2020, 13:42
Steve C64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I did my glider solo in the MK3 Kirby at Kenley 38 years ago! Great couple of weeks as a Cadet drifting about a few hundred feet up. Strangely it has still been a resource to draw on through my current PPL training all the years later! Especially with EFATOs , the immediate push command has lasted from the multiple cable break exercises thrown at us back then, which really grabs your attention at those angles!

We also spent a good deal of time digging around the boundaries of the airfield looking for 'buried Spitfires' that were rumoured to have been earthed over at some point after the war. And, guess what ...we found one! Or something airframe like of the right material anyway. We left it to the next course to continue the excavation amongst the daily business in hand. (Just found a post about this in the forum! )

Anyhow, Kenley was the trigger word for this spontaneous memory emission, the difference being this time, that, from the air, I'll be avoiding it rather than desperately looking for it !