PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Women In Combat
Thread: Women In Combat
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2020, 06:32
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Including the famous "night witches" of course.
When Gorbachev met Thatcher at Brize in Dec '87, I was involved in hosting one of the visiting Il62 crews and ensuring that their requirements were met. The passengers on 'my' aircraft were KGB security personnel, who were whisked off in a bus to sample the decadent capitalist life style of a meal in Gateway House, whilst we had coffee and excellent Russian chocolates served by very pleasant young ladies, over whom their supervisor kept a motherly eye. She seemed a bit Rosa Klebb at first, but after we thanked her and said how nice the coffee was, her face lit up with smiles and she morphed into everyone's favourite prep school matron!

For the leg from Brize to the US, the Americans had insisted that a Russian speaking USAF navigator would be on board, so rather an attractive young lady duly appeared and made her way to the flight deck to introduce herself. The crew seemed surprised that the navigator was a lady and chattered away in animated sounds of obvious Russian approval.

Turning to Yuri, the chap with whom I was working, I asked why they were so surprised. "Surely you have female aircrew in the Soviet air force?", I asked him, "your brave 'night witches' were very famous in the war against Nazi Germany"

"Yes, we do have women", Yuri replied with a grin, "....but, aahh, not very many like her!"