PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you allow a passenger to 'have a go' on the controls?
Old 24th Feb 2020, 10:01
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another one to check; every year I run a fly in at an unlicensed airfield. Four years ago a pilot in a PA28 came and asked if we thought he would be able to take-off with the load he had. He didn't understand the performance section of the POH, had little idea of what he was doing on grass, nearly made a massive hash of it all, his wife and daughter went home (165 miles) in a taxi.

The following day I called the syndicate instructor, the instructor was horrified at the standards and flying of the PPL holding syndicate member then informed me that their insurance precluded unlicensed strips.

Talking with the underwriters of my company fleet insurance they told me that even if the guy had experienced an EFATO from an unlicensed strip they would probably have walked away, despite the fact he was airborne and not on the strip, but was flying from it.

I checked the insurance for my weekend toy and it had the same caveat, a small fee and tiny premium increase and cover was restored, and she lives year round on an unlicensed, private strip.

SND