PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 10:57
Phil_and_Sand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by POBJOY
Who knows some common sense may even creep back into the Vigilant fleet currently gathering dust at Little Ris and Syerston. Perhaps with some out of the box thinking someone will realise that the required engine overhaul situation is well do able and that this fleet should go back to serve the organisation they were obtained for. The LAA were prepared to oversee getting the Vigilants back into the air, and this is a respected organisation with DECADES of engineering and design ability. The MOD could do a lot worse than utilise this experience to compensate for the lack of it in their own system.
Pobjoy, you have written this line loud and often but I do not believe you. The Vigilant is very close to a Grob 109. That aircraft has a current type certificate supported by a type certificate holder. My understanding is that as a type it is not eligible for transfer to the LAA system. It doesn't matter what the LAA might have been prepared to do, it is the CAA who issue Permits to Fly, they cannot issue a permit to an aircraft that can have a CofA. From a passing involvement in this project I understood pretty much all of the airframes are unserviceable and require a Viking style survey by a competent organisation (unlikely to be LAA) to return them to flight. Not saying it can't/won't happen but as I understand it the only route is with a CofA and with the support of the TCH. The engine situation just adds more expense to the whole equation. With 109s fetching around £30K, who can justify doing very much to these airframes?