PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 09:05
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Vigilant Disposal

Originally Posted by VX275
Have the Vigilants been disposed of yet?
I know I haven't seen any photos of a landfill brimming with crushed GRP and let's face it, there isn't much money in scrap GRP and burning is out of the question, sixty odd GRP airframes is an awful lot of MMMF to go blowing in the wind.
Although it is unlikely to make headline news the Vig disposal looks like it is nearly settled with the idea that some airframes will eventually be RTF but not with the Grob engine.(not in UK anyway). I suspect the other airframes will not be scrapped but get RTP for eventual spares use, poss overseas. There is no desire to see the VW engine /airframe combination flying again in the UK no doubt due to awkward questions being asked. If they quietly find their way somewhere else it will effectively be a carpet sweep (under) that closes the chapter. For the record there was no tech reason for the machines not to go on to the LAA system, but the politics of the whole wider pause and recovery issue has rather clouded this alternative.
Of course this does not diminish the service they gave with a valuable addition to getting Cadets airborne which started (SLMG) with the VW engine Falk., It should also be remembered that Cadets did train to solo on both these machines at locations where winch launch operations were difficult to maintain. It is the lack of suitable winch launch sites that will limit the ongoing Gliding program for the future, but it is better than not having the facility at all. It is no different in the civilian gliding world with many locations quite remote, and not able to attract a wider membership.