PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident Near Mangalore Airport - Possibly 2 Aircraft down
Old 21st Feb 2020, 05:18
OCTA Aus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish
What are Airservices doing? Aren't IFR aircraft supposed to be separated from each other by the controllers?
It was class G Airspace, which is uncontrolled... Is it the concept of operating in class G airspace you cant grasp, or is it the meaning of the word "Uncontrolled"? Either way the problem can be solved by either reading AIP or the dictionary.

Wouldn't both aircraft have appeared on radar?
Quite possibly not, even with ADSB coverage is still far from 100% at low levels. Even with the FR24 feed the departing aircraft only appeared moments before the collision.

Doesn't that expensive radar system employ conflict alerting?
Yes, with limitations, such as the aircraft must both be in surveillance coverage, and there are STCA inhibition areas in the vicinity of aerodromes

I mean flightradar24.com can see it happening why can't Airservices?
Because FR24 can get an ADSB feed from some guy sitting in his house with an ADSB receiver and an internet connection. Airservices need an ADSB feed that has integrity and redundancy for surveillance services. This means multiple channels for transferring the data. High speed connections to ensure the data meets the updating requirements. Some method of checking the integrity of the data both from the aircraft and also from the ADSB site. At a guess I suspect an ADSB site would run into the millions. Airservices don't have endless resources.

Being selfish, what is to stop an IFR aircraft from running into me in my bugsmasher?
You operating in accordance with the VFR, see and avoid, alerted see and avoid, traffic displays on the modern EFB's, and while its a crazy idea, maybe some form of ADSB in traffic system for your aircraft? There are lots of options... like any system though its not foolproof.