PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2020, 12:17

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Obviously, this whole thing is a debarcle….but if I was 13 again would I join knowing what I know now....absolutely, and would I recommend anybody to join now...absolutely!
Even if I took the 'nice to have bits' - camps, flying, gliding etc etc back to a bare minimum (as they are now) I still had a fantastic time as a cadet (and later as Staff).
For team building and making a better person in later life I think the Cadets offer a fantastic opportunity.
I appreciate that paperwork / H&S etc has changed over the years...where hasn't it?....but I still think for a youngster the Air cadets has a lot to offer...and the squadron staff I am sure are still trying their best to make it fun / rewarding / educational...and all the other things I loved.

Would you get the same from the Army Cadets/ Sea Cadets / Scouts /Girl Guides etc etc....probably, but as I never was one, I am obviously biased...and I am sure they have all changed over the years to.

We would all love it to be the way it was, but it isn't......again most things these days seem to be like that, but lets not detract from what the cadets can offer...even it's just attending Parade nights.

Not all cadets just join because they can fly or shoot....some are there (and I do count myself as one who joined for other reasons!) because it is something good to do with your time.

Good luck I say to all those who are still involved at all levels....and thanks to all those who I knew in my time, you probably made me the person I am today...which I think is a good thing!