PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Women In Combat
Thread: Women In Combat
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2020, 14:52
Union Jack

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
Being an old Git....I recall when the first Woman to enter Flight Training for the US Army....and have kept an eye on how the US Army changed over the years (other branches as well).

I mentored a couple of young female Warrant Officer Pilots when they reached out for advice and support.

When they deployed to Afghanistan....I kept them close to my Heart much like a "Father" would do....and worried about their returning home safe.

As there is a special bond between Aviators especially that of US Army Warrant Officers....old Gits tend to call them "Little Sister" but include them in that "brotherhood".

In Somaiia, during the first days of the UN Contract that involved CHC and Bristow....I got to see how a bunch of female Soldiers reacted to a fierce firefight just outside the perimeter of the Mogadishu Airport.

Every one I passed was either advancing to the gunfire or had taken up hasty defensive positions with their Rifles at the ready.....exactly as I would have expected of any Soldier.

The linked article identifies a few of these young Warriors.

I especially liked the account of Sgt. Hester....who received the Silver Star for her direct combat with armed Insurgents.

We all can be proud of the service of so many of these Woman who serve alongside of us.

https://taskandpurpose.com/6-women-w...nd-afghanistan
Those of us who are serving, or have served, will have noted a key word.

Jack