PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2020, 10:06
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by campbeex
I recall a time when this thread used to be about the state of gliding in the Air Cadets with relevant contributions from the likes of tucumseh and Engines.
Thank you. If I may, the essential difference is that Pobjoy correctly highlighted and bemoaned the imminent demise of ATC giding and predicted the effect, while myself and engines (whom I know) drew on past experience and offered the solution. (Implement mandated regs). We all complemented each other.

I admit I haven't followed this recently, but am surprised at the timescales quoted. Is there a conflict between (a) the OSD of 2021, and (b) the Treasury requirement to show '5-years useful life' against any expenditure? Linked to this, as soon as the OSD is declared, annual support funding drops by 20% for each of the final 5 years. If this policy, which applied throughout my career, has been relaxed, then that would require a major hike in the equipment budget. Or, more likely, the diversion of existing monies from higher priorities.

Like much of this case, something doesn't smell right. Keep pushing Pobjoy.