Thread: A380 'Hovering'
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2020, 00:16
MerrillParker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the Airbus Brochure "Safety First" #15 February 2013 © Airbus S.A.S.:

===========
FINAL APPROACH

In crosswind conditions, the flight crew should fly a "crabbed" final approach wings level, with the aircraft (cockpit) positioned on the extended runway centerline until the flare.

FLARE
The objectives of the lateral and directional control of the aircraft during the flare are:
• To land on the centerline
• To minimize the loads on the main landing gear.

The recommended de-crab technique is to use the following:
• The rudder to align the aircraft with the runway heading during the flare
• The roll control, if needed, to maintain the aircraft on the runway centerline.
The flight crew should counteract any tendency to drift downwind by an appropriate lateral(roll) input on the sidestick.

In the case of strong crosswind during the de-crab phase, the PF should be prepared to add small bank angle into the wind to maintain the aircraft on the runway centerline. The flight crew can land the aircraft with a partial de-crab (i.e. a residual crab angle up to about 5 deg) to prevent an excessive bank. This technique prevents wing tip or engine nacelle strike caused by an excessive bank angle. Therefore it is wise to know what the maximum bank angle is during the flare phase for the type you are flying so as to ensure no such strikes. As a consequence, this can result in touching down with some bank angle into the wind, therefore, with the upwind landing gear first.
===========

I will leave it to the professional pilots, engineers, and/or physicists to confirm/refute the PF met these Airbus parameters based only on this video evidence.

My opinion is that the crew did the best they could, with what they had, at the time they had it.