PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380 'Hovering'
Thread: A380 'Hovering'
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2020, 23:08
fdr

Received 856 Likes on 256 Posts
Interesting set of viewpoints here.

If the group want to beat up the PIC and PF for this sort of video footage, they need to include the organisation that places the lump in this position. That is all of the flight operations organisation that sits above the driver, and the corporation that places the commercial pressure on the crew and the operations management.

Plane dealt with the issues pretty well all up, strong plane.

I can sympathise with the crew, I plonked a 744 into a certain airport once with a xw of 35K which was all well and good until the throttles were closed, and we got a gust of 64K of xw component. Total wind speed was over 80K on the gust. The drift angle increased so much that in the time it took to plonk on the ground I considered into wind rudder, or not, and in fact did put some in. I also considered a G/A, and decided that it would be just worse than the impending touchdown, and would not avoid ground contact. Rest of crew laughed their butts off on the taxi in. I got the QAR readout later and looked at it for a long time, but couldn't see a better solution on the day. The approach was within limits all the way until it wasn't and that was too low to avoid a touchdown from throttles closed. (I was the FO at the time)

The peak torsion loads are lessened in normal circumstances by having a yaw rate established towards the direction of travel. That usually removes the unpleasant lateral lurch that occurs when a touchdown with drift on occurs, with no yaw acceleration commenced.