PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Face Masks
Thread: Face Masks
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2020, 21:43
BFM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The truth about face masks and some proper tips from an expert

A few words from someone who knows about hygiene precautions. Firstly, please don't rely on the type of mask you see everyone wearing. They are entirely ineffective at stopping virus movements; you need one classified as FFP3 (Filtering Face Piece level 3) and to have undergone a 'fit' test to ensure it fits you. Even then the protection is relatively short-lived. Why do we surgeons wear simple masks while operating? Really just to stop bits of dribble, breakfast and similar falling in patients' wounds.

The slightly better news is that unless someone pretty much sneezes ON you, you are unlikely to get a big enough viral load on your mucous membranes to start infection by breathing. Not impossible, but you need to play the odds. So if you may think you may have CV that's when you wear the simple mask - to reduce how much you shed.

Current internal NHS documents are saying that Covid-19 lasts about 48 hours on surfaces. Therefore, you are best off reducing the viral load on your hands as much as possible. Here are the rules, and I encourage you to adopt these from now for ever, as they are what will protect you from all sorts of infections, including things like norovirus, influenza, hepatitis A (although you are probably immunised against that) and many others:· Always carry tissues and use them to catch coughs or sneezes. Then bin the tissue, and wash your hands, or use a sanitiser gel.

· Wash your hands often and thoroughly with soap and water, especially after using public transport. Try to avoid touching handles - turn the tap off with your elbow if it isn't proximity triggered and if there is a towel hold the door handle with it to exit before discarding it.

· Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.

· Avoid close contact with people who are unwell.

Covid-19 is a new strain of Coronavirus and we are still learning about it. There is an incubation period of up to 14 days, which is why those self-isolating are asked to do so for that period. We don’t yet know precisely when someone who has the virus is and isn’t infectious, which is why people are asked to self-isolate to prevent the spread of infection.

I have recently gone through YVR, and for the first time I had to check in at a computer terminal before seeing immigration. Now these terminals are all touch screen, and there was no attempt to clean these between users. So if someone has a viral infection, that's a great way to spread it! So what was my first action when I could after using the screen? Was it a) putting on a mask or b) washing my hands thoroughly at the first public washroom I could find?