PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada 767 Problems at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2020, 18:44
tcasblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlightDetent
I do no think so. We've had it here for several times, with very good contributions. No one I remember managed to say more than the Boeing's AERO article.

My take on all combined is that with a fuel-jettison aeroplane (never flown one!) there is a certain logic to reduce down to max OEI go-around weight in case of inclement weather. Otherwise, if calculated landing distance allows, there is no justification to say airborne for the sole purpose of reducing weight.
I already gave the justification based on what Boeing states about not landing overweight with a blown tire. Do you not think that this is important. Can you calculate the landing distance for a blown tire. And then what is the landing distance if the remaining three tires blow out on that gear leg. Will the landing be smooth or accidentally firm. Will it be accidentally long....then what...go-around?

Originally Posted by Jet Jockey A4
I agree completely with you.

They actually waited for an F18 to be available to them to fly up close enough to the aircraft to validate a blown tire.

Then they stayed up in the air for presumably 4 hours on one engine... I'm sure the passengers were very happy and stressed out for all that time.

What if another aircraft was not available to fly up to check their aircraft out to validate the blown tire?
Who cares if the pax were not happy and stressed about staying airborne for four hours. They would be a lot more stressed if the remaining tires had blown on landing and they had gone off the side or the end of the runway. Do you really consider the happiness of pax for serious decisions like this?

If no F-18, I suspect the same decisions would have been made.

Meanwhile for the scared of single engine operation crowd, I wonder how many commercial PC-12's were flying at the time.

Once again.....
"Situations Beyond the Scope of Non-Normal Checklists It is rare to encounter in-flight events which are beyond the scope of the Boeing recommended NNCs. These events can arise as a result of unusual occurrences such as a midair collision, bomb explosion or other major malfunction. In these situations the flight crew may be required to accomplish multiple NNCs, selected elements of several different NNCs applied as necessary to fit the situation, or be faced with little or no specific guidance except their own judgment and experience."

Last edited by tcasblue; 16th Feb 2020 at 19:07.