PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Synthetic VOR/DME
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2020, 09:55
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 421 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by blueandwhite
have you thought maybe some people maybe under thinking it? I’ve never heard anyone give there location in that way. But if they do then knowing where you are in similar terms is very sensible. The quickest way will be a readout as you asked. Very easy if you have a second GPS
Knowing where you are in relation to a VOR should come from the mental picture formed during thorough pre-flight planning and map study. Just as one should know about airspace around and above the route. It does become easier with more experience, releasing mental capacity once airborne.

However, the last thing we need is pilots in Class G becoming more reliant on hand held/ operated electronic devices that require them to be heads in/eyes down to lap level. As it is, it never ceases to amaze me how many pilots don't take avoiding action, or even show any acknowledgement of the presence of another aircraft, when they are bound to do so by the rules of the air. I can only assume it's because their lookout is totally ineffective. Either that or they don't know the right of way rules, which is less likely, seeing as we all have to pass the same air law exam.