PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disruptive Jet2 passenger getting a big bill
Old 14th Feb 2020, 00:05
Lord Farringdon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger One
You're missing one important point; this was just part of a series of offences. Just a couple of weeks before the Jet2 incident, she was involved in a drink-driving incident during which she committed, and was convicted for, assaults on members of the emergency services, as well as the drink driving offence. This history of other recent violent offences would most assuredly have been taken into account when she was sentenced for the violent incident on the Jet2 flight, and not in her favour.

The sentence was entirely justified, IMHO.

Fair point, but all this really says is that her actions as a result of her drug and alcohol addiction and mental state are predictable, while her sentencing is dependent on where her predictable behaviour occurred. She needs help, court ordered if necessary but throwing a mentally unstable person in prison at 25 years old has only one outcome. Without help, she will be released on parole and exactly the same behaviour will be exhibited again and she 'll be back inside.... only next time for longer as her rap sheet gets more pages added. Up until her sentencing, I thought there was a chance this one could be turned around. But after she leaves prison? I doubt it. It takes a bit to recognize where compassion vs punishment might be needed and we are all too easily persuaded by the pack that "if you do the crime, then do the time". I say there are alternatives and up until he deleted his post, so did Loose Rivets, an example of how easily underlying convictions can be changed by group think. I don't see Aviation being made one bit safer by throwing this hapless women in prison. Not serving alcohol on flights on the other hand would have an immediate effect.Maybe Jet2 instead of dragging this women down could ban alcohol on their flights and in so doing have a much more tangible outcome to the safety of passengers and crew than this law or the judges sentence has.