PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fukushima Prefecture AW139 crash land, no immediatefatalities
Old 11th Feb 2020, 13:00
SASless

Received 508 Likes on 211 Posts
MBB pushed the Run On Landing technique for the BK-117 and one Operator I worked for incorporated that into our training and check rides.

When doing a stuck right pedal exercise we found ourselves whizzing down the runway at 110 Knots IAS....I had the temerity to challenge our Chief Pilot's wisdom.

I proposed entering autorotation, pulling the engines to "Off", and landing with no engine power going to the drivetrain and a near zero groundspeed, saying I felt that would be far safer, smarter, and have a much better outcome.....it was not received well.

After all....did not the maker of the aircraft know better than anyone else about their machine?

The thought of doing that kind of landing....at night...with engines and rotor at full chat....with no pedal control....touching down at 110 knots having only collective movement to assist in yaw control......well...that just scared me to death.

I have done lots of touch down autorotations over my career...including two for real....and those are far easier on the flight suit and underwear than the other option would be.