PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia's benign weather
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2020, 01:20
exfocx

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
excuse the thread drift

While in the M.E. in the mid 2000s I came across a Uni paper (Reading University, I think) that was reprinted in a CX Crews News mag I picked up in the crew room. It was primarily exploring the different accident rates around the world (at the time excluding Russia and African operators) and how crew interactions (CA / FO) may impact on safety outcomes. It noted that Australia had a lower accident rate than the rest.

It went on to discuss an "attitude check" on how crews from different countries rated their opposite number, by that, how supportive they're of the other crew member. The Brits surprisingly enough didn't rated each other highly, Australian crews in general showed the highest support of the other (!!). It went on to look at what impact this had on safety outcomes and in doing so pointed out Australia's relatively BENIGN wx and in doing so noted that wx as a contributing factor in accidents was 3% (this was surprising to me). I believe the quoted figure came from the NTSB.

I guess getting to where you're going comes down to a lot more than just the weather.