PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - Botched Nuclear Warhead Projects - The Economist
Old 9th Feb 2020, 18:17
tiddles52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt Kremmen
Perhaps someone will correct me but. I cannot remember - within the last forty years - any capital project, either taxpayer funded or privately that has been finished on time and within budget. At a fundamental level, I wonder whether it has anything at all to do with grade inflation in the State educational system in GB.

At first glance, that might seem rather remote but, if, as I know from first hand experience, youngish middle manager material cannot properly express themselves because they are inadequately trained in basic literacy and numeracy then their professional career could stumble when expected to write reports prepare estimates and illustrate summaries
Project inflation in the public sector has a simple cause : If the company told the Govt the proper full price at the start they'd never start the project! So a digestible figure is supplied, signed off, then the slow creep up begins. Same as the builder on your house does - quotes the job then starts adding to the bill as you make changes. That's the jam on the job.

G