PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Poseidon - Not too long to wait?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2020, 21:33
Rattus Norwegicus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have seen a spare flown back from the Falklands and then put in a taxi from Brize to Lossie.

Anything can be done if you want it. I wouldn't suggest spares for the P8 whilst at Lossie will be a big issue, if they got caught short oversees on an exercise or an Op then am certain they could get a local spare very easily.

Originally Posted by cashash
I dont disagree with any of that SASless but this is the RAF we are talking about.

As an example I was working on Harriers in Germany in the 80's and we had an airframe that was grounded for a reaction nozzle. There were none in stock and the manufacturer didnt have any spares either but finally one was located (I think it was robbed from an aircraft in a museum or gate guardian). So we have a new component how to get it from the UK to Germany bearing in mind that the RAF are one of the largest flying clubs in the world - yes, we put it on a truck and sent it normal freight (its cheaper that way). So the truck gets on the cross channel ferry 'Townsend Thoresen European Gateway' - unfortunately as it left Harwich it hit another ship and sank.

About 6 weeks later we finally got the U/S component back after it had been repaired at the manufacturer.

So it isn't rocket science but as you said - this the government...