PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2020, 08:22
Jumbo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Falling_Penguin
Would any recent SH joiners be able to PM me some sample rosters they are working please. Received an offer and weighing up the pros and cons.
I can understand your question and it must be hard to weighing up the pro and cons. Before joining BA a while ago now I only worked for airlines were on Roster day you got given a computer generated roster and the only limited control you had on the roster was the ability to place a few requested days off on it every month.

Rosters in BA are completely different to what you probably experienced before. They are a very personal thing since we can put so many preferences into the system. Sharing a junior roster would therefor not be of any use since you are most likely unable to find out what the owner (once the roster is published in BA you become the owner of your roster, it therefor doesn't change anymore and is pretty much written in concrete, on average I had 1 roster change every other year) their rostering preferences are.

For example I'm relatively senior on SH and if you look at my roster you would probably be disgusted, I work pretty much every weekend. For me on the other hand weekends are not important and preventing them is not something I put in my preferences. The same goes for consecutive days off, early/lates, tours/daytrips, destinations, etc., etc.

With regards to SH rosters expect to have limited control on your roster the first year. If you want one weekend off and that is your only preference you probably get it. If you want a weekend off, LIS night stops, lates and only three day tours you will fail until you get around 50% seniority. At the current rate of recruitment getting to 50% seniority should take you about 2-3 years. What I'm trying to say with the previous example is the more senior you get the more picky you can get with your preferences till the point were you are no 1 on the list were you litterly write your own roster.

On LH you get the same, with the difference being that every unfrozen pilot who joined the company before you once they move to your LH fleet will slot in more senior to you. To get to 50% seniority on LH could therefore easily take up to 8-10 years.

Last edited by Jumbo2; 8th Feb 2020 at 11:10.